California Federation of Republican Women
Officially Chartered by the National Federation of Republican Women
and the California Republican Party
From the Desk of Mary Ervin, CFRW President
Submitted by Jeanne Solnordal, CFRW Legislative Analyst
September 25, 2023
FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR CLUB MEMBERS,
IN YOUR NEWSLETTERS AND ON YOUR WEBSITES
Call to Action: Stop Bad Bills from Becoming
Law – Contact Gavin Newsom & Have Him
FINAL PUSH TO STOP BILLS ON NEWSOM'S DESK
CALL HIM DURING BUSINESS HOURS ONLY – 916-445-2841
THIS IS IT, OUR FINAL CHANCE TO STOP BAD BILLS. PASSAGE DEPENDS UPON NEWSOM’S SIGNATURE.
CALL NEWSOM’S OFFICE RIGHT AWAY DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS. PHONE 916-445-2841 — EMAIL HIM (ca.gov for contact sheet)
ALL YOU NEED TO SAY IS THAT YOU WANT HIM TO VETO THE FOLLOWING BILLS. SEE THE INFORMATION BELOW THE LIST.
1. VOTE NO ON AB957 (Wilson/Wiener) – Parents – Equates “affirmation of child gender transition” directly with a child’s “health, safety and welfare.” Therefore, not affirming child sex change = not acting in line with health, safety or welfare = child abuse. The non-affirming parent will lose custody and, yes, if both refuse to affirm, both can be deemed abusive and lose custody making the child a “ward of the State.” Even parents who are not in a custody dispute will be at risk of being deemed abusive for not affirming a child’s purported desire to change sex.
2. VOTE NO ON AB665 (Carrillo/Wiener) – Parents – Allows random “professional persons” to place children 12+ into residential shelters, based on the child’s “OK” alone, no parental consent or due process, no allegation of any danger whatsoever. (Current law at Family Code section 6924 requires that a child must be in danger – suicidal or victim of abuse/incest – before the child can go into residential shelter. AB665 guts Family Code 6924 to eliminate danger requirement.)
3. VOTE NO ON AB1078 (Jackson) – Schools – Newsom, Bonta and Thurmond bullying School Boards. State choses curriculum, forcing the teaching of CRT, transgenderism, developmentally inappropriate “sex ed” and LGBTQ lessons on districts and students. Strips power from school boards. Schools removing sexually explicit books will be penalized (defunded and fined) and objecting board members doxed. Prohibits the removal of any “inclusive and diverse” material ever; any other materials may only be removed by majority vote of board.
4. VOTE NO ON SB407 (Wiener) – Parents – Forces foster parents to promise to affirm the “sex change” of any foster child, or be the denied ability to foster. Eliminates over 60% of eligible foster families, and the chance of kids to find “forever” families. Will increase the need for institutional state-run group homes, which are the worst outcomes for the most vulnerable kids. This bill would require a resource family to demonstrate the capacity to meet the needs of a child, regardless of the child’s sexual orientation or gender identity, as specified.”
5. VOTE NO ON AB5 (Zbur) – Schools – Forces teachers to learn about transgenderism – but not desistence or detransition – to lie to parents about children presenting on campus as a different gender identity. No training of the dangers of the medicalization/sterilization of children. Teachers will be taught to identify students that might be LGBTQ and come from unsupporting families —- And then what? Call CPS?
6. VOTE NO ON SB596 (Portantino) – Parents – Criminalizes parents who “disrupt” a school board meeting or “harass” school officials, on or off campus, by fining them up to $1,000 and/or 1 year in jail for expressing their anger over indoctrination policies and pornographic books in libraries.
7. VOTE NO ON AB223 (Ward) – Parents – Allows an adult to change a minor child’s name, sex ID, and/or gender marker confidentially. Will help random adults – one parent, “friend,” boyfriend, court-appointed guardian – “erase” children. The argument of hiding records to prevent bullying of LGBT children upon supposed discovery of their trans identity (by Googling court records—impossible!) is bull-oney. No child can search public court records. AB223 helps sex traffickers, or parent absconding with child from another state, to hide the child’s whereabouts.
9. VOTE NO ON SB345 (Skinner) Medicine – Makes California a sanctuary for any medical provider providing gender affirming or abortion care in a state where it is illegal. Insulates these providers from investigation, discipline, suit or criminal charges, and gives them a private right of action to sue if investigated, etc. Will allow CA transgender and abortion providers to practice without any oversight or repercussions.
10. VOTE NO ON SB487 (Atkins) Insurance – Forces insurance carriers to indemnify doctors who harm gender-confused children with medical and surgical interventions. Same for abortion doctors. Doctors will be able to irreversibly harm children without penalty.
11.VOTE NO ON SB760 (Newman) Schools – Forces each school to have “gender-neutral” bathroom – which could be a multiple-stall room. Placing males and females in the same toileting room will increase sexual assaults at schools. Bathrooms, already the most dangerous place in school, will become even more so.